Los Baños Guide
Welcome to our new Living Los Banos Website. As you explore this site, I hope you can find many options for things to try and do around the Philippines. As you explore and find new areas, please send referrals for those amazing places. I would love to update this site with more treasures found around the Philippines!
Happenings in and around town - November 2019
Facts about the Philippines - November 2019
Bonifacio Day - November 30th
Boinifacio day is a national holiday in the Philippines, commemorating “Gat Andres Bonifacio’s” bravery as one of the Philippine national heroes. He was the founder and the supremo or the father of KKK or Kataas-taasang, Kagalang-galangan, Katipunan ng mga anak ng Bayan. It means the ("Supreme and Venerable Association of the Children of the Nation", Spanish: Suprema y Venerable Asociación de los Hijos del Pueblo).
To commemorate the celebration of Bonifacio day, the Philippine government declared that the birth of Andres Bonifacio will be celebrated as a non-working holiday every year which is in the 30th of November.
Recipe for the Month of November 2019
Pininyahang Manok or PineApple Chicken sources: "Pininyahang Manok"
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks canned
- 2 pieces tomato chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper cut into thick strips
- 1 piece carrot wedged
- 2 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce patis
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Marinate the chicken in pineapple juice/concentrate (derived from the can of pineapple chunks) for 20 to 30 minutes
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot / casserole then apply heat
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes
- Put-in the chicken and cook until color of the outer part turns light brown
- Add the pineapple juice/concentrate marinade and fresh milk then bring to a boil
- Add the pineapple chunks and simmer until the chicken is tender and half of the liquid evaporates (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Put-in the carrots and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the bell pepper and fish sauce then simmer for 3 minutes
- Remove from the cooking pot / casserole and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Filipiknow - Filipino Vocabulary
Banana - Saging
Mouth - Bibig
Apple - Mansanas
Love - Mahal
Rice - Bigas
Good morning - Magandang Umaga
Oil - Mantika
Good evening - Magandang Gabi
Sugar - Asukal
Good noon - Magandang Tanghali
Cooking - Nagluluto
Good - Afternoon - Magandang Hapon
Fry - Prito
Boil - Pakuluan
Dessert - Panghimagas
Husband - Asawa
Ingredients - Sangkap
Wife - Asawa
Fare - Pamasahe
Partner - Asawa
High - Mataas
Low - Mababa
Joke - Biro
Eyes - Mata