Los Baños Guide
Welcome to our new Living Los Banos Website. As you explore this site, I hope you can find many options for things to try and do around the Philippines. As you explore and find new areas, please send referrals for those amazing places. I would love to update this site with more treasures found around the Philippines!
Happenings in and around town - June 2019
Facts about the Philippines - June 2019 Issue
12 June 2019
"Araw ng Kalayaan"
June 12 in the celebration of Philippine Independence day here in the Philippines. It is celebrated in commemorating the independence of the Philippines from Spain. Independence Day is a day when many people, including government officials, employees, and students, participate in nationwide parades. However, the main highlight is the police and military parade in Manila headed by the country’s incumbent president, followed by a speech and a 21-gun salute. Many Filipinos spend the day in parks and malls.
The Flag of the Republic of the Philippines, representing the country is symbolized by the following:
- Royal blue field – peace, truth, and justice.
- Scarlet red field – patriotism and valor.
- White triangle – equality and brotherhood.
- Three stars on the corners of the triangle – the three main geographical regions of the country namely Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao.
- The sun at the center of the triangle – has eight rays representing the eight Philippine provinces that started the revolt against Spain.
The flag is seen in various places across towns and cities in the Philippines during the country’s Independence Day. Many cars also sport miniature flags on this day.
05 June 2019
Eid al-Fitr means "festival of breaking the fast" and marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan. Traditionally, Eid al-Fitr is celebrated for three days as an official holiday in all Muslim-majority countries. However, the number of vacation days varies by country. In the Philippines, most of businesses are closed to commemorate our Muslim brothers spread commonly in Mindanao.
Philippines has roughly 10.7 million Muslim population spread all over the Philippines sharing land with Christians. Generally, Muslims prepare for Eid prayer by taking a shower and dressing in new clothes. With clothes being an important marker of Eid, some people wear traditional clothes from their culture, while others pick out something new to wear. Muslims are also encouraged to eat something sweet, usually dates, before heading to the Eid prayers.
On their way to the prayer, traditionally held in an open area, Muslims recite takbeerat, praising God by saying Allahu Akbar or God is great. Following the prayer, family elders distribute cash or gifts to the children.
Jose Rizal's Birth Anniversary
19 June 2019
Jose Rizal was born 156 years ago, on June 19, 1861, in Calamba, Laguna. The day will be celebrated as a special holiday in Rizal’s home province of Laguna and his birthplace, Calamba. President Duterte issued Proclamation 222 covering Laguna and Proclamation 223 for the city of Calamba. It's important to celebrate Rizal Day on June 19, to celebrate his life, more than his death, which best embodies the ideals of the nation which continue to inspire us today. In remembering him, we remember a man of such great intellect and utter love of country, who voiced the ideals and the passions of his people, and whose vision for the nation, remains true to this day.
Recipe for the Month of June 2019
Spicy Beef Kulma
Originating from Mindanao, more specifically in Zamboanga by the Tausugs, a Muslim ethic group in the Philippines as well as in Malaysia and Indonesia which explains the close resemblance to the nearly named curry dish. It is considered a special dish and usually prepared on sepcial occasions like the Ramadan, having said that it is not restricted on those occasions so it can be easily spotted on Muslim restaurants across Zamboanga.
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 heaping tbsp peanut butter
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2½ cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pc bay leaf
- juice from half lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 birds eye chilies, chopped
- 1 bunch lemongrass, pounded
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine salt, curry powder, paprika, cinnamon and lemon juice together, mix well.
- Add the beef and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a pot heat oil then brown marinated beef pieces, set aside.
- Using the same pot sauté garlic and onions until soft.
- Add the meat back together with the bay leaf then pour the beef stock and coconut milk bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 1 hour.
- Add the tomato paste, peanut butter, lemongrass, and chillies then continue to simmer in low heat for 45 minutes
- Add the coconut cream cook for 15 more minutes then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Turn off heat then serve.
To know more about about Beef Kulma, you may visit: Beef Kulma Recipe and Cooking Procedure
Filipiknow - Filipino Vocabulary
Mahal - Expensive/love Pabili - Buy Mabilis - Fast Kanin - Rice
Kotse - Car Fish - Isda Madami - Many Pabili - Buy
Maganda - Beautiful Karne - Meat Pasasalamat - Gratitude Ingat - Take Care
Panalangin - Prayer Kanta - Singing Mabait - Kind Masarap - Delicious
Regalo - Gift Nagluluto - Cooking Malakas - Strong Tara - Let's go