Los Baños Guide
Welcome to our new Living Los Banos Website. As you explore this site, I hope you can find many options for things to try and do around the Philippines. As you explore and find new areas, please send referrals for those amazing places. I would love to update this site with more treasures found around the Philippines!
Happenings in and around town - March 2020
Facts about the Philippines - March 2020
Lenten Season - “Araw ng Kwaresma”
As a Catholic country, Filipinos seriously celebrate the Lenten Season to commemorate Jesus Christ's suffering. It starts on ash Wednesday (March 4, 2020) and will end April 12, 2020. During Ash Wednesday, you will notice that Filipinos go to church and put an ash cross sign in at their forehead. This signifies faith and reminds us that he created us from dust and we shall return to dust as well. Ashes are made from palm during last year’s palm sunday celebration. Since lenten season is also a season of fasting, Filipinos would also avoid eating meat, and instead serve fish and vegetable and other non-meat dishes during this season.
Recipe for the Month of March 2020
1. Place the cooking oil in the pan and apply medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot enough, put the fish in the pan.
3. When the immersed side of the fish is brown and crispy, flip the fish to let the other side cook.
4. Once the fish is fully cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
5. In a clean pan, saute the garlic, onion, carrots, ginger, and bell pepper (red and green)
6. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 5 minutes
7. Put-in the tomato paste, sugar, and vinegar then mix thoroughly
8. Add-in the cornstarch to thicken the sauce (make sure to dilute the cornstarch in 1/2 cup water before adding it in)
9. Pour the sauce on top of the Tilapia.
10. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Tilapia
1 whole Tilapia
1 tbsp garlic
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup bell pepper red and green
1 cup cooking oil
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 thumbs ginger cut into strips
2 cups water
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 small carrot cut into strips
Filipiknow - Filipino Vocabulary
- Mahal - Expensive/love
- Pabili - Buy
- Mabilis - Fast
- Kotse - Car
- Fish - Isda
- Madami - Many
- Maganda - Beautiful
- Karne - Meat
- Pasasalamat - Gratitude
- Panalangin - Prayer
- Kanta - Singing
- Mabait - Kind
- Regalo - Gift
- Nagluluto - Cooking
- Malakas - Strong