Driving Tips & Accident Guidelines

Driving Tips:

The Jamboree road going over the mountain is closed from about 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.

Remember that Jeepneys, trikes, and buses will pull over and stop at any point on the road. Drive defensively and be prepared for this.

Security precautions when driving

  • Ensure your car has a jack and tools, and spare tire. Registration papers with duplicates, a photocopy of your driver's license, paper and pencil, and a copy of the emergency instructions should be in the glove compartment.
  • Keep car doors locked and windows up while driving.
  • Always lock your car when parked.
  • Do not roll down window to give money to beggars
  • Make sure tank is always at least half full.
  • Take provisions (food and water) when travelling during the rainy season, in case your stuck in traffic due to flooding.

Guidelines on Vehicle Accidents - KEEP A COPY OF THIS IN YOUR CAR

  • *Do not make a verbal or written admission of fault to the other party even if you think you are at fault.*
  • Do not surrender your driver’s license to anyone, except to a police officer. Should a police officer take your driver’s license, get his/her name and badge number and request a receipt.
  • Notify the nearest police officer or station if the accident occurs outside IRRI. If an accident occurs within IRRI/UPLB premises, the Security Office must be immediately informed by calling the IRRI Desk Hotline 0918 923 4798.
  • Do not move the vehicle until the police investigator has come to the scene. Should you be ordered by a traffic officer to remove the vehicle, take down his/her name and badge number. Ask him/her to take note of the position of the vehicles and give the information to the police investigator. If you have a camera (phone camera is fine), take pictures.
  • Take the name and address of the other driver or car owner. If possible, take a photo of the driver’s license and vehicle registration of the other party.
  • Write down the names and addresses of any witnesses.
  • Make an estimate of the damages sustained by the other vehicle.
  • In accidents where a pedestrian is injured, assess first if you are in any personal danger from bystanders. If not, stop your car and bring the injured person to the hospital. Do not sign any guarantee to pay the medical or hospital bill. Call the IRRI Desk Emergency Hotline 0918-923-4798 for immediate assistance.
  • Report minor and major accidents to the Transport Services (TS) by filling up a Vehicle Accident Report (VAR) form. This form is available at the TS and is a requirement in the filing of insurance claims.