Houses managed by IRRI have guards close by to help maintain a higher level of security. If renting outside of IRRI Managed Housing (IMH), extra security precautions may be needed. Here are just a few tips for living in either IMH, or outside of IMH.
- Keep outside doors locked at all times.
- Never label house (or car) keys with your name and address.
- If you have a door or window lock in the house that requires a key to unlock it from the inside, make sure that the key is accessible in the event of a fire.
- Keep carport and outside lights on all night or put motion sensor lights outside.
- Keep important papers, bank statements, checkbooks, passports, cash, and valuable jewelry in a lock box.
- Keep a flashlight and spare batteries by your bed in case of power cuts and in at least one other place that is easy to find in the dark.